Coined as the “Fight of the Century,” Floyd Mayweather, undefeated and five-division world champion enters the ring against eight-division world champion, Manny Pacquiao on May 2nd for the fight of their lives!
Predictions of who will win, how much money the fight will gross, and fan debates on how many rounds the fight will last have begun on and off line with 10-13 millions impressions hitting Twitter in the past hour. Boxing fans and sports fans alike are cheering on their picks across social media, and Insightpool is excited to track the action. We are pulling together a predictive report on who we think will win via social media activity, followed by the launch of an infographic once the social victors are declared..
How are we predicting the winner of the fight of the century?
Last year, Insightpool had the opportunity to partner with Cox Communications to run a social drip marketing engagement campaign prior to and during the Mayweather vs Maidana fight and the Pacquiao vs. Algieri fight. We proactively started conversations around both fights and then activated and tracked influencers that engaged in conversation.
Highlight: Floyd Mayweather jumped into a conversation started by Cox Communications and then Mike Vick joined driving traffic and revenue.
Each social campaign engaged boxing fans and the fighters’ fan base in conversations around the fight. If they responded (including the Cox Communication’s handle) they were sent a question to discuss predictions for who was going to win the fight. The unique opportunity for Cox Communication was to not only nurture the current followers that were super excited about the fights but to engage a new target audience that was influential in the boxing community.
Mayweather vs Maidana
- Social Win: 79% choose Mayweather
- Winner of Fight: Mayweather
Two campaigns ran for the Mayweather vs Maidana fight:
- 400 Mayweather fans asked for predictions on fight and received 194 responses.
- Tweeted 194 responders to campaign one with link to order the fight online and received 502 clicks.
- 79% of engaged people chose Mayweather for the win, 14% Maidana, 7% undecided
- 363 Tweets
- 39% Reply Rate
- 502 Clicks driven to site from the 194 people tweeted.
Pacquiao vs. Algieri
- Social Win: 60% choose Pacquiao
- Winner of Fight: Pacquiao
Two campaigns ran for the Pacquiao vs. Algieri fight:
- 101 engagement tweets sent to Pacquiao fans, Algieri fans and boxing fans and 69 replies (no link)
- We hit 41 of the 69 positive repliers with a link promotion tweet and received 235 clicks to buy the fight on pay per view.
- 60% of engaged people chose Pacquiao for the win, 29% chose Algieri, and 11% were undecided
- 546% Click Rate
- Out of 65 Replies there was a 46% Reply Rate
- 20,298 potential impressions
Who will win the Mayweather vs Pacquiao Fight Of The Century?
So, who will win—Mayweather or Pacquiao? Since we aren’t psychics, we can’t predict who will actually win the fight. But based on data, social activity and Insightpool’s predictive platform, we have theorized the social media winner. Share of Voice:
- Floyd Mayweather 77%
- Manny Pacquiao 23%
- Floyd Mayweather 4,673,982
- Manny Pacquiao 1,384,424
Average Klout Score: 40.28
Avg Sentiment: Slightly Positive
Top Influencer Tweets:
- Rosie Perez
- Las Vegas
Insightpool Social Media Predicted Winner: Floyd Mayweather! Who is your pick for the fight? Are you #MayWins or #PacWins?